PECULIARITIES OF PROFESSIONAL VOCABULARY TRANSMISSION ON MATERIALS OF MODERN ENGLISH MEDIA
The article is devoted to the lexical analysis of the language of politics of the English-language editions of The Guardian and The New York Times. The article considers the peculiarities of the using and functioning of professional vocabulary, provides a general description of socio-political neologisms on the materials of modern English-language publications, namely The Guardian and The New York Times. The paper presents the relevance of the study, highlights the purpose, object, subject and main tasks. The urgency of the topic is due to the interest in the study of political vocabulary in modern English, which, in turn, is due to the growing processes of globalization and international integration and cooperation in society. The analysis of modern researches of national and foreign scientists is carried out. The paper presents the translation aspect of the analysis of political vocabulary, and the article also identifies the difficulties of translating lexical items into Ukrainian. Popular English-language newspapers, including The Guardian and The New York Times, have used a significant amount of political vocabulary. This is not due to socio-cultural factors, but the important factor is that professional vocabulary has already become part of everyday life. The main translation transformations of political terminology include: transliteration, equivalent and descriptive translations – the article considers and analyzes specific cases of their use. The adequacy of translation is determined not only by the importance of special aspects of another culture, but also by the mental and intellectual characteristics of the author of the original text and its translator. Based on the analysis of theoretical sources and factual material, the specifics of the transfer of professional vocabulary, namely political terms in modern English-language periodicals The Guardian and The New York Times were revealed. In conclusion, the socio-political layer of vocabulary is extremely dynamic, as it changes in accordance with the needs of society and changes in the sociopolitical sphere. Professional vocabulary, namely political terms are formed mainly as well as terms of other lexical subsystems. Today, the main ways of forming socio-political terms are affixation and word formation.
2. Зацний Ю.А. Сучасний англомовний світ і збагачення словникового складу. Львів : ПАІС. 2007. C. 228.
3. Карабута О. Сучасна суспільно-політична лексика. Херсон : Айлант. 2012. С. 69–72.
4. Козьмик А.А. Деякі аспекти формування та функціонування суспільно-політичної термінології англійської мови. Вісник Запорізького державного університету. 2012. С. 1–4.
5. Петренко В.В. Політична мова чи політичний дискурс? Вісник Київського нац. університету ім. Т. Шевченка. 2006. № 81/83. С. 124–126.
6. Ромась Я.В. Лінгвістичні характеристики персуазивного політичного дискурсу. Мовні і концептуальні картини світу. 2013. Вип. 46(3). С. 331–337.
7. Top Republicans dismiss Trump’s refusal to commit to peaceful transfer. The Guardian. URL: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/24/republicans-trump-peaceful-transfer-presidency.
8. Donald Trump has a grievance against New York – and it tells you a lot about his presidency. The Guardian. URL: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/22/donald-trumphas-a-grievance-against-new-york-and-it-tellsyou-a-lot-about-his-presidency.
9. No-deal Brexit will cost UK more than COVID. The Guardian. URL: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/23/no-deal-brexit-willcost-uk-more-than-covid-report.
10. Republican grandee James Baker will vote for Trump “to get conservative judges”, book reveals. The Guardian. URL: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/23/jamesbaker-biography-trump-judges.
11. Trump Faces Challenges Even in Red States, Poll Shows, as Women Favor Biden. The New York Times. URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/us/politics/trump-biden-polls-texas-georgiaiowa.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage.
12. 2020 Election Live Updates: Trump Once Again Questions the Election, as Top Republicans Promise an “Orderly Transition”. The New York Times. URL: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/09/24/us/trump-vs-biden-election.