TRANSPOSITION APPLICATION IN UKRAINIAN TRANSLATIONS OF “IVANHOE” BY WALTER SCOTT
The article investigates the problem of application of transformation of transposition in Ukrainian translations of Walter Scott’s novel “Ivanhoe”, their comparative analysis is carried out, their complexity and justification are demonstrated. It is emphasized that the main goal of the translator is to achieve adequate translation. To achieve this goal, it is necessary to use translation transformations skillfully, adhering to the relevant norms of the targeted language, thus ensuring a more accurate rendering of information of the original text. The main scientific results are obtained applying a set of general scientific and special methods of research, namely: analysis and generalization of scientific literature on the problems of complex sentences and ways of their translation; theoretical generalization, analysis and synthesis; holistic and integral approaches to the study of linguistic phenomena; comparative, descriptive and analytical methods. On the basis of a comparative analysis of the texts of the original and translations of Walter Scott’s novel “Ivanhoe” performed by Yu. Lisniak & H. Lozynska, D. Radiienko and I. Davydenko the author states that Yu. Lisniak & H. Lozynska deviated somewhat from the norms of the original language and brought their translation closer to the norms of Ukrainian morphology, applying about 400 transformations. Thus, the translators made the text of the translation easier for Ukrainian readers to comprehend. In turn, the translations made by D. Radiienko and I. Davydenko demonstrate the translators’ efforts to adhere to the norms of the original, which sometimes overloads the semantic informativeness of the narration. The author concludes that the most commonly used types of transposition are adjectivation and verbalization, and the less commonly used are substantivation and adverbalization. But at the same time, the analysis demonstrates that most of the transformations are of complex nature, which proves that the translation of a literary text necessitates the translator to take into account all the characteristics and peculiarities of the fiction text, not limiting himself to any one task, but to use all available tools and techniques to achieve the best translation.
2. Вальтер Скотт. Айвенго / пер. з англ. І. Давиденко. Київ : Країна мрій, 2009. 400 с. URL: http://testlib.meta.ua/book/279988/read/.
3. Вальтер Скотт. Айвенго / пер. з англ. Ю. Лісняк, Г. Лозинська. Київ : Веселка ; Тернопіль : Навчальна книга – Богдан. 2005. 436 с. URL: https://www.yakaboo.ua/ua/ajvengo-1236369. html#media_popup_fragment.
4. Вальтер Скотт. Айвенго / пер. з англ. Д. Радієнко. Харків : Фоліо, 2017. 480 c. URL: https://folio.com.ua/system/books/samples/000/000/363/original/СкоттАйвенгоШБ-2017.pdf?1536370645.
5. Шахматов А.А. Из трудов А.А Шахматова по современному русскому языку (Учения о частях речи). М. : Учпедгиз, 1951. 37 с.
6. Walter, Scott. Ivanhoe. URL: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/82/82-h/82-h.htm.