LITERARY FAIRY TALE IN THE ASPECT OF TRANSLATION
The scientific study presents an analysis of the ways of translating a literary fairy tale and determining the optimal strategies for preserving the expressive charge of the original text. The research was carried out on the basis of the text by A. Volkov “The Wizard of the Emerald City” and its translation into Ukrainian by N. Kosenko. The work indicates that the text of A. Volkov was created on the basis of the fairy tale of the American writer F. Baum “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” with some changes. However, it was noted that it should be considered in the context of the Russian tradition of translation – adaptation (rewriting, which included extensions and additions with a significant bias towards accuracy and logic). The specific features of the translation of a literary fairy tale are revealed: basically, translators refuse to “domesticate”, but they do not want “alienation” either. The translator is forced to dose the ratio of correspondences at the semantic, syntactic and pragmatic levels of translation; he is in search of a certain universal strategy to make the “foreign” fiction his reality, so that the fairy tale will retain the originality of the translation. The features of the translation of emotionally expressive vocabulary have been clarified. It was found that regular equivalents are actively functioning in the text of a fairy tale and make up most of the analyzed units. This has made a great similarity in the lexical composition and grammatical structures of closely related Russian and Ukrainian languages, confirmed by the common origin and the proximity of historical paths of development. The use of transformations is due to the fact that an emotionally colored word not only expresses the speaker’s emotions, but also affects the addressee, evoking the corresponding emotions and feelings on his part, therefore, in translating such units, the main task is to preserve the emotionally expressive component of the meaning. First of all, difficulties in translating the analyzed units are in the “subtleties of semantics” and the lack of appropriate means of expression in the target language. A translation unit with an emotionally expressive component is translated, provided that there is no dictionary correspondence, mainly by functional equivalents – using transformations-replacements. So, an adequate transfer of the emotionally expressive vocabulary of the original is one of the ways to solve the problem of translating a literary tale.
2. Богрданова Т.Н. Русская сказка в англоязычной традиции перевода. Вестник ТГУ. 2010. № 4 (84). С. 268–274.
3. Брауде Л.Ю. Скандинавская литературная сказка. Москва : Наука, 1979. 208 с.
4. Казакова Т.А. Практические основы перевода. English – Russian : учебное пособие. Санкт-Петербург : «Издательство Союз», 2001. 320 с.
5. Цикушева И.В. Жанровые особенности литературной сказки (на материале русской и английской литературы). Вестник Адыгейского государственного университета. Сер. 2. Филология и искусствоведение. 2008. № 1. С. 52–55.
6. Haber Erika. Behind the Iron Curtain. Aleksandr Volkov and His “Magic Land” Series. Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, 2017. 297 р.
7. Schleiermacher F. Über die verschiedenen Methoden des. Friedrich Schleiermachers sämmtliche Werke. Dritte Abteilung. Zur Philosopie. Zweiter Band. Berlin, 1838. P. 207–245.